The Programming Track – III

Update
The last entry on this project was in April of 2015 .. going on two years. Geeze time flies .. if you are having fun or not apparently. I pulled this old project back from the dead (or off a shelf).

I got this far and shelved it for a couple of reasons.

  • I made a mistake and used bell wire. This seemed like a good idea at the time but the more wires I added the stiffer the entire bundle became as this is solid copper wire and not stranded.
  • The switches were turning on me. This was because I had used a piece of acrylic as the faceplate .. should have use a thin aluminum plate probably so I could have tightened the threaded switch shanks.
  • Stacking the terminal blocks seemed like a good idea at the time .. not so much now. Sure it compacts but the wiring overlaps everywhere it seems.
Solutions??
  • Picked up a couple rolls of 22-gauge stranded wire. That should fix the problem with having used the 20-gauge solid bell wire. This is not only a smaller gauge but stranded so would be more flexible.
  • Need to drill the hold for the anti-rotation tab. To do this correctly CAN be quite the process! – Toggle Switch Installation
  • The board is just under 6″ wide. If I arrayed the terminal strips horizontally the wiring would be easier but I would have an 18″ board. If I left them vertical but spaced further apart .. that might work.
  • The wires from the switches to the terminal blocks in a spider web of wires. There are 12 wires from each switch and another 8 wires to the small pc board for the LEDs. Was thinking that if I used two 15-pin and one 9-pin D-Sub Connectors it would make it neater. Each female socket could then be wired to the terminal strips.
  • I had a problem with the acrylic cracking around the switches .. not sure what caused that