DRRR Pier – Part VII

Transfer Jig
I have got to the point that I need to add NBW to represent where the Packing-Blocks that act as spacers between the stringers are bolted together. They also *secure the butt-joints where two stringers join over a cap. I remembered I had some Sintra PVC Foam Board and thought to try that. OH BOY does this stuff mill nicely. I had purchased some to try something totally different. There is a modeler in Europe (France I think) that uses this PVC Foam Board under another name and creates bricks etc. for his large scale buildings.

Here, I’m using the pin to mark the stringer where I will simulate a joint between two stringers. The other holes are for transferring the locations to drill for the NBW.

.. and here’s a close-up. For scale, that slot is 1/4-in. I cut that with one pass in my Proxxon Mini-Mill using a Dremel 1/4-in. Router Bit. This stuff cuts sweet!! This Sintra PVC Foam board is 1/8-in thick. Think it could be useful for other things since it tools so nicely

Edit: Lesson(s) Learned: I modified the jig just a bit by adding a .100-in. sq. strip exactly .250-in. above the top of the slot in back. That lets the jig rest nicely on top of the stringer. The other thing is that the pin is just slightly loose in the holes. No biggie .. not worth re-working the jig but I drilled the holes with the original intention of using it as a guide for the NBW drill size. I ended up using it to guide the pin to prick the surface to show me where to drill. Next time for something like this – drill the holes in the jig to fit the pin .. it’s acting as a transfer punch, after all.

On30 Stringer Assembly
Fancy term I suppose but it’s early .. and I’m only on my first cup of coffee.

The two stringer ‘assemblies’ were finished. Lots of bolts but since this will sit right on the edge of the layout it will be where it can be inspected closely. Right now the thing is mostly just a weathered gray base. I’ll ‘be back’ as Arnold said .. to pay attention to doing more then that. Right now .. I need to get the far outrigger stringer glued on so the structure can have some mechanical strength.

A closer look. There is a difference in the way that the Packing-Blocks (poplar) and the stringers (basswood) take color .. but that’s fine with me as it gives a visual clue that there’s something ‘happening’ there.

I cut the simulated joints between the stringers but haven’t ‘kicked’ them up any. I’ll use some Silver Wood to darken that slot .. and around the bolt heads. I’ll also do a little coloring with the same ones I used on the pilings .. but that I can leave for a bit. I think first I’ll whip out a couple of small jigs to fit over these stringers and locate that outrigger stringer correctly.

Rendering
This pier hasn’t existed in a static state but has changed constantly. I know I’ve said this before but – ‘what the heck’ – beating a dead but virtual horse has a point sometimes. Using Sketchup for this kind of thing works much better then just a drawing. You can spin the item around in 3D and identify problems that just don’t ‘jump out’ at you from a line drawing.

Rendered directly from Sketchup using Kerkythea. This is just with the Sketchup and Kerkythea defaults. If you take time and use Texture Mapping etc. you can get some very realistic renderings. Seems just a bit much for what I wanted which is a quick look at the pier!

Keeping the stringers aligned
The natural wood things that look like funky Lincoln Logs are 5/16-in. pieces notched out to fit over the stringers. They act like a track gauge so that outrigger tie stringer (far right) will be positioned correctly to glue down. There are notches for the as yet un-built crane stringers. Simple jigs like this save a lot of pain and anguish.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I'm not a spammer This plugin created by Alexei91

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.