Building Water Tank – III

Checking Fit
checkingtank-900I added a couple of cement supports for the tank’s steel framing. In ‘real life’ they would have extended into the building like internal walls I would think .. to support the weight. You can’t see it here but I added a couple of channels across the center to support the 3″x4″ decking and also allows room for the feed pipe to pass through. In this photo everything is just sitting in place .. not glued in place yet.
Support Footing
supportsecuring-900A closeup of where the steel structure sits on the concrete supports. There is no way that such a structure would sit like this .. the 5,100 gallon tank would have a weight of just the water of around 43,000 lbs. This much weight would hardly be well supported by these concrete supports – a flat plate under the legs would spread that weight.

When I took this photo I had the frame turned so that the I-Beams were across the width of the supports – which seemed like a good idea at the time.

tank_shoes2-900I scratched together these footings for the I-Beam feet. Much like a bridge shoe .. the spread the weight. I used Evergreen channel and flat bits along with Tichy nbw.

They came out fine .. except when I went to position them on the I-Beams and realized that the steel structure would have to be rotated 90° for the shoes to fit the concrete supports.

supportshoes-900Here as I said, I rotated the steel structure 90°. This brought parts of the structure that I hadn’t paid that much attention to before – such as the gray I-Beam on the left. I will fix that but this is the sort of thing that turns up when you are flying by the seat of your pants after all.
Roof
roofandripbsOne of the cool things about using Sketchup is the ability to pull out various parts and arrange them so you can print out a plan. In the case of the roof I have a hexagon guide that I used to print out on cardstock. The rafter allowed me to use it as a guide for cutting the stripwood.
roofglued-900I cut the cardstock roofing out and scribed over the joints, folded on those lines and taped the open edges together. I then used a black magic marker to make the roofing look like tar paper. I cut the rafters out, stained them and glued them in place. I didn’t use any joists since they won’t be seen on the model.