In the past I made a tank using cardstock for the plating. I used this for my “Small Oil Storage Tank” .. and the success and mistakes there should let me make this one better. The think that really stands out is my failure to seal the paper before painting. It came ok .. but as I say in the article .. “Note: There was a slight movement of the cardboard (swelling I meant). If I were to do this again (which I am) I would take time to seal it with some coats of lacquer.“
To that end I printed the plating out on some 110lb cardstock. The next step is to seal it.
|I think it is more important that you keep the sealant spray neat .. not so much what you are using. We want to ‘plastize’ the paper. When sealing printed paper a matt spray is preferable then gloss of course. I usually use a MinWax Spray Laquer – a Satin finish for that. I used this to plastize the ‘plating’ as mostly I like using laquer for this. Gloss would have worked fine. I sprayed a lighter coat on the side of the paper that will show and a thicker spray on the back. You actually want the paper to start to appear translucent .. like a wet T-Shirt contest. This lets you know that you are actually soaking the paper with the sealant. The reason for the ligher spray on the side that shows is simply to keep it from running.|
I found this nice cross-section of the dome in FM 10-67-1 – Concepts and Equipment of Petroleum Operations, Chapter 11, Tank Car Operations.
This at least gives a good idea of the construction. A ring with a dome top (well .. at least this design). The little hatch on top is really quite small.
|I used some 3/4″ Butyrate tubing from Plastruct and cemented a piece of Sintra® using Oatey All Purpose Cement. The cement worked amazingly well.|
|I rounded the top of the glued up Butyrate/Sintra sandwitch and then used a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a piece of 1-1/2″ dia tubing to sand the curve into the bottom of the dome.|