Brick Mercantile

The Brick Mercantile
CleverModelsAdThis old shaped little building from Clever Models caught my attention. This is the building as you see on the website built as designed.
P/N S62 The BRICK MERCANTILE
Print and Cut
PrintedSheetsI decided to follow my usual process and create a sub-structure of foam board, gluing the printed walls to the board. I don’t have to worry about the corners as the kit comes with appliques of brick for the corners – I will thicken these Quoins so they extend past the wall – this will cover any joint errors. So – I simply started by cutting through the kit fold lines for the walls. There was a small tab of brick on the side walls representing the depth of that false front wall. I am going to remove that part of the structure.
Looking at the four walls: On the left is the wall that will fully face the layout aisle. No windows to cause any problems. This is the side that the kit has an exterior staircase. I haven’t decided if I will add that or not. The narrow front has a window and door which I will have to build up. The right side of the building with the one window will be hidden so that will be left ‘as is’. Finally, the rear with the window and large roll-up door .. I’m not sure yet. I think it will be hidden.
Black Foamcore
Foam1I’ve had problems trying to align pre-cut paper and Foamcore before. To get around that I used oversize Foamcore so I wouldn’t have problems with trying to align edges.
Foam2Once the paper was glued to the Foamcore I could use a single-edge razor blade and cut around the outside of the printed walls.
Slicing up back
BackCutThe back wall. I filled in the window opening with brick .. did a quick wash to change the color a bit. The kit as it comes has the roll-up door with bits that fold up to recess the door. The channel header is flat. I sliced through above and below the header and then along the sides of the door.

The plan is to glue the pieces to a piece of foam core so I can recess the header and door and make everything nice and sturdy.

Note: If I were to do this again I would move the large door to the left a bit. I found out that I will be cutting into the Quoin on the corner. No biggie but just saying ..

Foam3So. Here the upper section and the pieces on either side of the door to some Foamcore. I used the header and door to align the pieces along with the two side walls.

The wall on the left with the window won’t be seen at all so I won’t bother doing anything to it. The back wall with the header and door will receive more attention since this will be seen easily. The narrow front will also receive attention but won’t require the attention the back door will as it will only be seen with difficulty.



Comments

Brick Mercantile — 2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I'm not a spammer This plugin created by Alexei91

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.