The Brick Mercantile – Pt III

Sign Problems –
CBRoofingRan into a problem when I was dry-fitting the left-side of the building to the back. The “Clever bros. Roofing” sign is evidently bolted to the side of the building. The problem is that the Quoins overlap the sign! Taking a close look .. it appears that in the original print that sign sits on top of the Quoin. If I had built the structure as intended then this wouldn’t be a problem – but since I modified the Quoin so it stands proud from the wall I had to address that.
CBRoofing2With the assumption that since I don’t know what I’m doing .. I continued on. I sliced around the sign, pealed it off the foamcore and cut a matching piece of brick from the extra wall I had.
TwoSidesThe patch worked fine .. but when I attempted to wipe the ‘mortar’ .. I discovered that I had forgotten to seal the paper. Darn it. SEAL THE PAPER. Sheesh. I prefer matt Lacquer .. which would have prevented the ink smearing. Not that bad .. a sign can cover that up but it .. umm .. is irritating.
Front Wall
Working on the front wall I ran into a problem. The wall has a printed window and door. There is a separate printed window and door that have ‘flaps’ that fold out – the intent is that this recesses these items. The problem is that where the edges meet they have to be glued and for me .. that stands out – at least on the brick corners. I can work around this by piecing together pieces of brick.
Quoin_LeftfrontI blocked the window opening up with the same brick I used for the side wall. Doing this I managed to fold the paper over so there is brick all around the inset window (Tichey). The bit below the window I think I will put an exhaust fan of some sort (like a reason WHY the window was bricked up).

The door is basically straight from the kit with the addition of a bead for the door handle (the door has bits that fold up to inset the thing).

Making the Quoin fit around the window and door was an interesting business I must say.

roof_1With four walls I can start on the roof. I thought that I might have trouble with the roof since that was not designed with foambord as the sub-structure. Happily .. it worked almost perfectly. On the right is the printed tar paper roofing .. having been folded up to create a depressed center. On the right is a piece of foamboard cut to fit under the printed bit. This will provide a firm, sturdy sub-roof.
roof_2Lower roofing glued in place. Darn .. Clever Models does a great job here.
roof_3Like I said .. “almost perfect” fit. Using the foamcore didn’t throw it off very much at all. Places that didn’t cover all the way .. where the roof stips down for example I will fix with the old standard, tissue paper and gray black paint .. which should work perfectly as tarred repair.
Finished Tarpapering
roof_5I added the coping around the edges of the roof then used tissue paper to resemble where workers patched/added tar paper/tar. I made it a little sloppy on purpose. I finally used weathering powder (Doc O’Brien’s Highlight White) to blend everything together.

I still need to add ‘some kinda’ roof access .. sheet metal exhaust .. junk but the roof itself is pretty much done.

Forcing the Perspective
I was looking at the forced perspective photos of Michael Paul Smith and decided to give it a try .. and found out some things really quickly!

1) The little screen on the camera sucks for shooting in bright light .. and couldn’t tell what the heck I was doing
2) I spray painted a piece of Masonite .. which looks ok except the edge curls up. Arrgh!
3) I had the camera set to Aperture priority .. with the bright light f9. Huh .. background out of focus .. need to play with settings.
4) Any place you go that is open enough to get a good background .. lets the wind kick up!

Anyhoo. First try not too bad.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.