Cash Market – I

This and that
photoOne of the great things about Facebook is that there are always someone posting an interesting photo. A while back, a photo was posted from the “Buildign in the Past” Facebook group. The ‘brub’ states .. “Two men in butcher aprons outside shop, Deuel & Smith Cash Meat Market, northeastern New Mexico
Unidentified glass plate negative from the Raton Museum collection
“. I did a search for the image and didn’t find anything other that a ‘c. 1900’
Thom steps up
stackedThom Miecznikowski of Clever Models liked the photo .. in fact he liked it so much he decided to make a kit based on it. In a few days he created the kit and sent me the Pre-Alpha Version of the kit .. which means it was hot off the press, complete with finger prints, coffee cup stains and cat hairs. This first part will be me playing around with this early version. What fun!

Some of the pages are displayed to the left. Currently as I write this, there are 14 pages of kit.

Slicing, Dicing and Tabs
front_woodworkIf you are not familiar with Clever Models I will talk about them a bit. What you get are .pdf files which you print out and make you kit from those prints. The great thing about this process is that you can print as many copies as you wish. If you mess up you lose notihing but time. If you want a series of row-houses then that simply means you create more copies. If you want to modify the struture then .. well .. heck. It’s cardstock .. modifying the kit is as simple as using scissors.

To the left is pg.06 – the windows, doors and wood-work that make up the front of the building. Notice the extra doors and wood shapes. The idea is that you can print them off and then glue on top of the other parts. Creating layers like this moves the model from a flat model to one that is three-dimensional. On a separate page you have the stiles and muntins that make up the windows.

withtabsI cut out the framing. Left the windows black without trying to do anything else .. this is a test run after all. I added tabs at various points .. again .. this was a test run of sorts and some of the locations of the tabs may be modified later.
Gluing up
rooffit4This photo doesn’t show where I messed up .. that’s the problem with just taking a single photo. I glued a piece of stripwood across the rear of the top/front. I printed off one of the interior supports, flipped it so the tabs pointed down and glued it in place where the roof would be.

– Mistakes and Lessons Learned –
♦ It seemed logical at the time to glue all four walls together and insert three interior supports and only then glue in the front woodwork. That turned out to be a mistake.
♦ I had glued in three interior supports … and the tabs I had put on the woodwork interferred witht he supports. Darn. Then I realized that with the supports glued in place I couldn’t hardly get my fingers to fold and glue the tabs .. insert arrgghhhh!
♦ Soooo. I tore the interior supports out. This caused the struture to warp a bit .. paper streaches. Darn. At some point the walls ‘tweaked’ a bit. A retangle is a parallelogram … true … but the opposite isn’t necessairly true .. which meant that the roof didn’t meat all four walls perfectly.

Hmm. That’s not right ..
rooffit2Printing off the roof I folded it up and put it in place and discovered that it needed work. That’s ok .. after all that’s the reason for this Pre-Alpha build. The wall as shown was short a good bit.
rooffit3A closer look shows the problem. Distance ‘B’ is the same as the shorter section of wall above the roof. The entire roof needed extending about the length of distance ‘A’ and up about the same.