Jukes Boat Rental – V

The Area
Sooo. I got a stack of test castings from Walt Gillespie of Rusty Stumps for the O scale rowboats. I had to re-work the master .. again .. but I had these messed up ones which I figured I could still use by arranging so the bad bits would not show.

The problem was/is that I simply have no room for the extra rowboats. Sure .. someone might say .. “Oh. Just change up the layout ..” .. to which I give the middle finger wave ..

Looking at the area I had to work with you can see the problem.

A platform
When modeling I like to do so by thinking .. “How would someone have approached a problem in real life .. (or as real as my model railroad is) .. and how would that problem be possibly solved?”. The idea I came up with was they might could have built a small platform/dock to store the boats and launch and recover them. I drew up a small platform in Sketchup and placed it into the scene. I figured this would allow me to stack my rowboats and stuff near Jukes.
The Design
A fiddled around a bit with various versions. I had created a HO scale I-Beam hoist for Walt and figured that it would work fine for a smaller hoist in O scale. The version I have is actually a Version 4 so I wanted to have a test print in any case. The hoist trolley was designed to fit a length of Evergreen 1/4″ I-Beam. It looked too delicate to me but you gotta start somewhere.

Yes .. rowboats would not be stacked that way but upside down. Heck. This is just a drawing “in progress”.

A drill guide
One of the cool things with Sketchup is that this allows me to create a pattern from the bottom of the platform to create a drill guide. Yea me.
I printed the guide off on to cardstock. I carefully pricked the center of each hole with a sharp scribe. I then soaked the cardstock where each hole would be and used the scribe and then a round file to carefully make the hole. Taping the pattern to the layout I brushed a light color paint over the holes and when that had dried I used a sharp-pointed magic marker to mark the center of each hole.
With the hole centers transferred to the surface I was ready to drill the holes.
The Envirotex ‘water’ is relatively soft so it was easy enough to prick the center of each circle and the a smaller drill to create a guide hole for larger drill bits. Ran into one problem – you can see a couple of the holes have a light color ‘ring’ around them. Drilling the holes made some of the Envirotex lift. That could probably be fixed by squirting some additional resin into those areas.