Jukes Boat Rental – VIII

My Initial Design
I’ve drawn up my view of the crane. The piling is 1/4″ dowel. The “connecting clips” are made up from Evergreen #230 and #232 tubing and bits and pieces of styrene shapes. The jib and tie rod are made up of Evergreen tubing and shapes and some small tubing. This is just a guide though .. I will draw up these guides in Sketchup to give myself a general direction. This will change during the build as I see what parts and pieces I have on hand.
Connecting Clips
The text calls these ‘connecting clips’. The are half-circular castings that clamp around the 1/4″ dowel / 12″ dia posts are where the jib and tie rod attach. I drew up this design based on bits and pieces of Evergreen styrene. The problem would be trying to go from a drawing to the real-world.
I sometimes think that the hardest part of modeling can simply be getting small parts cut and filed and worked well enough to satisfy me. Just getting the tubing cut to length is a good example here. I have one of the cheap Harbor Freight ‘Mini Bench Top Cut-Off Saws’. It is pretty much useless for anything other than cutting off plastic or basswood but for that .. in this case .. cutting off plastic tubing, it works “good nuff”.

The small rings in the pic were finally cut after I found that “taking it easy” .. meaning attempting to cut slowly didn’t work. I think that allowed the plastic to heat up and let the tube move so I ended up with rings that were not square. In the end just making a quick cut worked much better.

The rings were glued (MEK) to the longer tubes to build up the basic shape for the ‘Clips’ .. and let dry overnight.

… and … glued up. I carefully cut some .020″x.060″ styrene to fit between the rings and cemented in place. I made up a styrene slurry by soaking styrene scrap in some MEK. This is a little more involved than simply using a plastic putty but really works well as it is simply liquid plastic. Once it sets up you have sold parts. I let this dry well before the next steps.
Parts
all the parts except for the clevis tongues on the opposite ends of the tie rod and jib. Those will be added once I assemble the bits and pieces to locate the exact position.
Completed(ing)
Obviously I have little regard for reality .. my hold on that being somewhat tenuous. If pressed I will say that the crane was created in the 1910’s or so .. when engineering was basically .. “let’s see if this will work”. Next step will be paint (well – primer and then paint).
Primer
… and some primer. I used Mr. Surfacer 1200 .. expensive stuff .. but great stuff. I still miss the cheap Walmart gray primer.
Primer
I used some Rustoleum Flat Brown next – I planed to use the hairspray technique so this would be the ‘rust’ layer
Paint
Next paint. I used Tamiya. It’s something like an Acrylic Enamel and chips easier than say Vallejo which is an Acrylic Latex. Think a hard shell compared to dried milk. I used a mix of leftover paint – a buff color with some gray and white mixed in. Mostly I wanted something to show rust and stains.
Chipping
Now .. repeating what I posted to Facebook about this .. Robert Burns penned the line … “The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men Gang aft a-gley.”

My hairspray chipping went ‘a-gley’. I think I messed up and used too thin a layer of hairspray. I did use an ‘Equate’ brand instead of my usual TRESemmé .. in any case .. I had trouble chipping the paint. This morning then I continued using Tamiya X-20A thinner (regular thinner from Lowes is too .. ‘hot’). Dip a brush into the thinner then offload most of it on a paper towel and use the same technique as dry brushing (this will kill the brush for painting by the way)

Pinwash
Pinwash. I used MIG brown wash. Once with thinned about 50% with turps .. then some pinpoints with full strength.

The MIG wash is pretty dark so that’s why I thinned it for the first application. You can make a wash from a lot of stuff solvent or water based paints and oils. A solvent based wash though .. you can use solvent to remove stuff you mess up without screwing up the acrylic paint underneath.

OPR
… and .. OPR. Oil Paint Rendering. You use oil paints .. in this case I am using MIG Brown Wash. You should put a dab of paint on some cardboard so it soaks up the oil carrier. Then use a very very small pin prick of paint on the model .. use another brush to fade it into the surface. You might as well purchase quality oil paints . it does make a difference and one tube will last for years.
Semi-Finished
Went ahead and glued the pillar crane to the dock. I had originally meant to let it rotate around the post but realized that the little people needed to operate the crank etc. That means it could rotate from the dock to just enough to lower a boat so I glued it there. I need to add a nbw that got knocked off and add the cable to a boat in the water as shown. Good nuff for now though.
pp7