Widget Supply – II

Test Fit
gluingThe concept actually worked out pretty well. The only downside is the time it takes to do all the notching. I was wondering .. huh? Wonder if a laser cutter could do all this – if it could it would make for a cheap way to make a kit.
Gluing Up
gluedup2I used white glue to glue everything together. The painter’s tape is used to help hold the bits together tightly while the glue dries. Here I put the structure in place approximately where it will go.
Siding and Roof
sidingandroofingI started to glue the siding on. I used a Clever Models Texture Sheet – O scale clapboard – faded yellow TO-315. The plan is to come back and cut out individual boards from another sheet and layer on top.

Ok. I’ve seen people use clapboard siding on models where the trim is on top of the clapboard. That’s not correct. The clapboard is fitted between the trim .. widow/door trim, corner boards etc. So. The plan is that once the structure has the siding glued on – which will act as a guide for added ‘boards’ later on – I will jump to the trim and then come back to add the added clapboard strips.

In addition it was somewhere at this point that I decided to add a hip roof. Since the slope varies this meant that I needed to basically cut-and-fit some layered card until I get something that ‘looks’ right. Once that is done I will come back with rafter tails and glue to the underside.

Test Fit
setting_1.. again .. I placed the partially completed structure on the layout to get an idea of how it will look. Not bad. I may extend the ‘tower’ back a bit – this would be a good time to do that. This is part of the process .. do a bit .. and step back and look. I think of this much like someone painting a picture .. make a couple of brush strokes then step back and look and decide what’s next. I find it fun as I never know really what is next.
Doors and Windows
trimmed2I used Tichy windows and doors. It worked pretty well leaving the blank walls for later. Cutting through the foam board below the ‘clapboard’ was really easy – like this method. To get a match to the clapboard and trim I used much the same process at the trim – sprayed some Walmart gray primer then a wash of off-white acrylic (sandstone) – deliberately blotchy with an AI wash after.
Roofing
corrugated_2Here I’m starting to apply the corrugated roofing. I used some heavy aluminum from a drip pan to make the corrugated iron sheet. The corrugations were made using my Fassett Studios tool then PCB etchant to corrode the metal. I streaked a little white weathering powder over the surface here and there using some from Doc O’Brien’s.
corrugated_3With all of the corrugated iron sheet glued down (I used Weldwood® Contact Cement) I came back with some burnt umbra oils to add just a bit of rust. The digital photo shows where I need to add some additional glue.
FFN – Finished For Now
finished_1For now this is .. “Good Nuff”. I will come back later and add some details such as a roof turbine venting, piping on the outside for electric or what/who knows but for now this works.
Attic Turbines
stacked_1000Went ahead and knocked these out. I made them from some funky copper bead thingies I found in the beading section glued on some styrene stalks. Work pretty good for ‘on the cheap’


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I'm not a spammer This plugin created by Alexei91

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.