TWP Shed – Pt I

The Contest
In October 2010 The Whistle Post announced their first scratchbuilding contest. The rules were:

1. It must be a shed.
2. The shed must have a foot print of 12ft x 18ft (3.7m x 5.5m)
3. Style, or materials used, are completely up to you.
4. Final photos must show the structure alone, without scenery (real or modeled).

The following is about my entry in the contest. This was great fun and I wish they would do another as it gets everyone involved.

My design
Shed_2The ‘history’ is that the brick portion is a ‘scrap’ left over from a larger building measuring only about 9’x12′ (in the last pic you can see where the ‘broken’ brick used to be a wall). The windows would be bordered up with both brick and wood. Then there would be an addition out of wood with have a roll-up door simply to keep everything within the 12’x18′ requirements and to allow a look inside. Figured it would fun .. and I decided to build it in 1:24 which would be a new scale for me.

So. Here’s the original plan. Just how close to this ‘vision’ .. who knew.

Brickwork
CuttingBricks_2I wanted to use a technique developed, as far as I know, by Don Railton where he used the blue builder’s Styrofoam manufactured by Dow to make his brickwork. His method was to tape some graph paper over some foam and then use a ruler aligned on the graph lines and an X-Acto knife to scribe the mortar lines into the foam.

I used a variation of an alternate method that Marc Reusser used. I drew a brick wall (Flemish Bond), printed it off and attached it to the foam using a low tack spray adhesive. Using a straight edge and a X-Acto knife I cut through the mortar lines. After removing the paper ‘brick shaped’ bits .. I went back over the lines, re-cutting, poking, squishing, pushing. This is one of those projects that you put beside the computer desk and work on it bit-by-bit .. otherwise you may go crazy (crazier?). I basically created a ‘brick sheet’ a little larger then the wall I needed and then cut the wall out and openings such as doors and windows.

First Try
Wall_Initial_RedOxideI did a slight re-design for the corners of the brick portion. Figured I would have a prob trying to align everything .. and came up with the idea that .. ‘back when’ .. the original building had granite corner veneer .. not only would it add a little more interest .. it meant that I didn’t have to worry about matching mortar lines. I could also chip, break the granite and all that.

Anyhoo. Here we have the back wall scribed and the opening cut out. I stuck the cut out piece back in for the first painting using some red-oxidish Rust-Oleum primer. Later I planned to use different ‘brick’ shades, thin spackle for mortar, then heavy washes of black (hey .. it’s OLD) .. but that would wait until I got all four sides scribed. That way the colors would match.

I had no problem with the paint attacking the foam …

meltingHave you ever done something .. really .. really dumb .. and you see yourself doing it and you are crying .. “STOP STOP!!” .. and you don’t listen?

The next morning I noticed that some of the ‘bricks’ were loose. “Huh. Ok. I can fix that” I said to myself .. I can seal it somehow. My first thought was .. white glue and water sprayed on should seal it nicely .. looked around .. hmmm. I’m out .. OOOO … there’s the can of Mod Poge Matte Clear Acrylic Sealer ..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dammit!!

de integro
Wall_Initial_RedOxide2Having managed to totally destroy my first wall, I scrambled to re-create it. I therefore give you .. ‘take two’. One thing that I did was to scribe directly into the foam. I later took a closer look at the way Don Railton approached this and figured out that he had scribed through the plastic that comes with the foam. That might keep the brick from being so .. rotten.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I'm not a spammer This plugin created by Alexei91

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.