TWP Shed – Pt III

Front Wall
Front_WallFront wall was done – without abt melting it.

Since that wall to the right of the opening was so thin, I glued a piece of foam board behind the opening to strengthen everything. Doesn’t matter as there will be a closed freight/double door there. I needed to go back at this time in use some white glue to secure any loose bricks. One of the problems in doing it this way is that you are basically replicating the real world in that .. the bricks are loose!

This is still very early in the process .. I was thinking about going back and lightly dry-brushing a lighter orangy color so I could follow some of the instructions in the Hydrocal step-by-step coloring thread.

Now for the other walls.

WhitePrimer_1After looking back at the “Step by step how to build a hydrocal kit” by downtowndeco I realized that I had ‘jumped the gun’ in painting the foam the red oxide. Following the methods in this thread I decided to back up a bit and primered the walls white. I still need to carve the brickwork at the top of the wall etc. etc.
Wall Cap
28Oct_2I added a ‘cap’ for the top of the walls. Then – I had to wait for the primer to dry before I could continue. Once it dried I could glue it to the walls and then touch up as needed. The interior of that ‘cap’ (what IS the name for that?) would have a flat, tar papered roof. I thought that I could probably use tissue up over the lower portion of that so the ‘brick work’ texture shows through the ‘tar’. Having fun with this project. Thanks TWP!
360°
I was having a great time with this. I *think* it is dooable in a smaller scale like 1:48 .. but if you finished you might be found sitting in a corner making bubbles ..

I had made some progress on coloring the bricks, put the roof in and started on the ‘tar paper’. Let me show you what I had at ths point ..

28Oct_3This is the end of the building that was ‘chopped’. The story is that the building was once longer and this is all that is left. The dark brick indicates that this was blocked off at a later time. I put the yellowish brick where the door was once simply for a contrast .. indicating that the door was there when the dark brick went in (along with two blocked up windows). The two whitish corners here will get a thin layer of ‘brick’ that has been broken off. I started on the flat roof .. with some cigarette paper ‘tar paper’. I adhered it with some black acrylic.
28Oct_4This part of the building will be covered up by the wooden addition. That window will be the only one not blocked off in the brick part. I will have to come up with something to put on the other side .. some shelving or some such I think. That’s way down the road though. That wide open area will be filled with a double door/freight door, closed and chained up.
28Oct_5Continuing around to the right. Those corners here (and on the front) will be covered by a decorative granite/stone cover. Figure that they will be cracked, stained .. with possibly some missing. If I have any missing then I will have to carve away some of the corner (is wood) so I can slap on some ‘brick-work’.
28Oct_6Finally back around to the broken-off end of the building.
I hadn’t got to it yet, but all of the windows and doors (except for the yellow brick) would have a stone lintel to match that on the corners. The yellow-bricked up door will have a I-beam lintel (rusty of course). The idea for the stone is that .. whatever and whenever the brick building was built is was nicely done. The real reason is (1) to add interest and (2) MOSTLY .. to hide the joints. Ha.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I'm not a spammer This plugin created by Alexei91

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.