Grażyna – Part II

Further on the design
Model3In this view I removed the deck balusters from bulkheads 4 and 5, drastically reducing the superstructure. In addition I added the lower portion of that structure to make a walkway around it. This will accomplish several things – 1) Since it is a working boat .. makes sense .. but .. 2) Gives a place for the coal pipe lids. Coal burning ships took on coal through coal pipes. They were perhaps 14 inches dia. .. with some having the opening flush with the deck and others having the pipe stick through the deck 12 inches or so. In any case .. one of these on either side. 3) this also allows me to extend the decking back very nicely .. for visual purposes.

I think that topmost bit will be the wheelhouse with cabins etc. below. The Deck level portion will be stairs, crew stations and so on. (That is until the seafaring guys/gals tell me I am wrong)

Model4The same sketch as viewed from behind. The details will evolve .. basically .. how wide does that open deck area need to be? Currently is about 4 feet wide – may narrow that some.
False Deck Roughed In
FalseDecked_1200I admitted earlier that I don’t know what I am doing and am making it up as I go. I started by cutting out a False Keel and Bulkheads .. then discovered references to a ‘False Deck’ .. a surface that the decking can be glued to. I used 1/16″ Birch Aircraft Plywood cut to fit between the Bulkheads. I left it with extra wood on the width. The plan will be to fill in between the bulkheads with balsa (I picked up a pack of assorted balsa at Michaels yesterday) – as further along in the plan will be to plate the hull. The balsa should work for that.
The original idea when I cut the Bulkheads out was to leave the deck balusters that reinforce the bulwark – but now I’m having second thoughts about that. Since the idea is for this to be an ‘iron’ ship .. the bulwark needs to be thin metal and the current balusters are just too darn thick. I read that one of the methods to do this is to rabbit the top edge of the deck for the baluster. This would work .. I think ..

To that end .. with a sudden madness I snapped off all of the balusters. There. I’m committed now! I got to thinking about it. The bulwark is the same material as the sides of the ship – in this case ‘steel plate’. Looking for a material I am seriously considering using the aluminum from a soda can. Perhaps. That depends really on the scale thickness. If this proves too thick I may look at using the aluminum from a disposable drip pan or something similar. I’ve used this for O scale tin roofing in the past. In any case – it came to me that if I left the plating 1/8″ shy of the top of the deck then I effectively have a rabbited edge that the bulwark can be glued to.

balsa1-1200I rough glued chunks of balsa between the bulkheads making sure that at least a little of the balsa extended outside the outer edge of each bulkhead. Not really too concerned about the fit as this will just be there as a support for the visible plating.
balsa2-1200A look at the top. I let this set up overnight so the wood glue would have time to set up well. Once I carve and sand down to the bulkheads I will come back with some plastic wood to fill in places the knife slipped or I sanded to much. Again .. this is for supporting the ‘iron’ plate so ‘close nuff’ is ‘good nuff’.
*Intermission* – Test fit
roughtest-1200I’ve roughed the hull a bit closer to the bulkheads. I think I will take some time to put a layer of fiberglass resin on the inside to strengthen everything before continuing.
.. and another
primer-1200The hull is finished as far as needs to go before starting to add decking, plating and such. Huh. A gray primer does little for the photo op .. but this is where it is at for now. I will get my hands on decking before even starting to plate the thing and install that first.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Heads up! You are attempting to upload an invalid image. If saved, this image will not display with your comment.